Wednesday, February 4, 2009

late blog! 'interesting' picture

-Kiana Alzate-
Alright so this image is very powerful and may be offensive, but I believe that this was Betye Saar's intent...
I found this image in a book at the RISD library called "Los Angeles 1950-197(?)" I'm not sure what the years are, however it definitely got my attention. I took a Civil Rights class last year and we had done a lot of reading, but did not necessarily ever go into the arts movement and it's affects on society during the period. 
I guess one could call this a collage of some sort, because the art is three dimensional, like a display. The child in Aunt Jemima's arm seems frightened, maybe a representation of society during the time, and potentially the reaction of society to this day. Black Power is represented, obviously by the fist at bottom center and the gun side by side to (i'm assuming here, Aunt Jemima's) broom is very reminiscent of the eagle on the back of the U.S. quarter. 
Racial stereotypes are oppressive not only to those oppressed but also to the society that can choose to reinforce or abolish them. They are still in many art forms today, especially mainstream media and pop culture. This kind of photo and piece inspires me to change the fact that they are still repeated, however subtle, for example, in cartoons and animated films today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment