Monday, February 2, 2009

4- Diane Cai: "inside wind" by penname "Depret"



Whenever I'm looking to be inspired/envious, I like to surf deviantart. It never ceases to surprise and impress me the sheer amount of talent that it houses.

Originally, I thought I was going to post a portrait. I usually gravitate towards them because they have the potential to be so candid, so immediately emotionally gratifying and graspable. I really believe that humans are react to the image of other humans. Even infants who are so young their vision is still not fully developed will linger on images that resemble faces (oval, skin-colored) longer than they will on other images.

But when I saw this piece by username Depret, I was instantly interested. The colors were so striking, the shapes so fluid, the title so intriguingly insubstantial. Not to mention, technically-speaking I have no idea how it was done. Also, it is vaguely reminiscient of the whole ontogeny-recapitulates-phylogeny idea. It just looks so organically microscopic and macrocosmic, like it could be both a cell and a solar system. I can't but help wonder if it was entirely intended by the artist, or if it was just a beautiful mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment