Tuesday, February 3, 2009

4 - Sri - Unmoving



Long a fan of Robin Rhode, art to me extends to both the consumption and creation in a state of flux. Hailing from South Africa, Robin Rhode seems to do the best of both worlds. Many refer to his work as street art but I think that reduces what he does. His art has...SOUL. He also seems to capture the essence of nature--grittiness and beauty alike--in his work. This particular piece just resonates beat and heart; I can almost hear the tendrils that he strikes undulate. There's something so gentle and unmoving yet, underneath the surface, the tension is about to be broken and shit is about to break loose.



I also have great admiration for Dale Chihuly and orgasmed when his exhibit came to the RISD gallery for these past few months in the fall. Chihuly has really redefined the medium of glass. As a chemist, I find myself intrigued by glass not only for its aesthetic appeal but because no matter how unmoving glass seems, it has your eyes tricked. It moves slowly, an infinitesimally small amt, every single hour, minute, second of our lives.

So I guess that's the unwitting theme for this post: Unmoving...Or So You Think

No comments:

Post a Comment