Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hannah PP- Laocoon by El Greco, 1610-1614

I have mixed feelings about this painting-mostly because I don't know what is going on. I know that the three men in the center are a father and two sons who are being punished by the gods with serpents for something having to do with Troy. I am unsure about the 2 (and a half?) people off to the side and from what I've read there has been a lot puzzlement over the role that they play in the painting. Still, despite the fact that it is unclear who they are or even how many of them there are, I feel their presence--coupled with Toledo in the background and a churning dark sky adds a very mysterious and unsettling atmosphere to the whole painting. I like the way that the bodies of the men kind of mirror the shapes of the clouds behind them and the effect kind of joins the heavens and men in dark, unfixed movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment