Tuesday, February 3, 2009

5-Jessica Wang, A Softer World #383


(Click the image to get a full view)

This may not fall under most people's definition of art, but to me it certainly is art. A Softer World is my favorite webcomic, and to quote its tongue-in-cheek "about me" page, it "was created by Emily Horne and Joey Comeau so that people would recognize them as important artistic geniuses." They have me convinced. Emily takes the photos and designs the comics, while Joey writes them. The images and the text blend together very well, even when the pictures don't have any direct or explicit connection to what's being said. They arrange very simple photos in ways that evoke different emotions for me, and the text is usally funny or surprising. These comics do for me what I my favorite pieces of art do--they are interesting, emotional, and make me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment