Sunday, February 1, 2009

4 - Charlie Frohman - Koons' Tulips


Since we were allowed to post about whatever we wanted this week, I decided to share a piece of artwork that I really love. The image above is of Jeff Koons' Tulips, and it is located at the Bilbao Guggenheim in Spain. I visited this museum last October while studying abroad in Spain, and this was undoubtedly my favorite work. I really like how this sculpture is located outside, and as such, seems to become part of the museum itself, instead of a work on display.

The giant flower sculptures that make up 'Tulips" are metallically colored, and on a bright day (like when I visited) they reflect the sunlight and act like carnival mirrors, distorting the image of the viewer that gazes down on them. I remember countless visitors taking pictures of their own reflections by zooming in on an individual flower.

Interestingly, while searching for a picture of 'Tulips', I read that this piece is now heavily guarded, because a visitor accidentally scratched the surface with her bracelet last year. That's so unfortunate, because part of the beauty of Koons' outdoor work was its sense of openness and naturality. With the constant presence of guards I'm sure this is now lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment