Friday, February 6, 2009

6- Tanya- Originality


Here is a painting by El Greco "The Marriage of the Virgin" painted 100 years after the Raphael painting we saw in class. El Greco adds a new and original dimension to the scene by focusing in on the characters and playing with the contrast of dark and light colors.

After reading the Benjamin piece, I began to think about how I value originality in art and what originality in art means to me.I was reminded of a quote by C.S. Lewis that I love that talks about truth as a form of originality:

"No man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth, without caring twopence how often it has been told before, you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." C.S. Lewis

I believe original art aims at conveying some sort of truth, and so long as the artist is adding something of their own to the piece, be it different techniques of portraying light to better show their perception of how the art should truly look, or even the truth behind reproducing art in a different context. As long as there is that element of reinterpreting the art according to one's own truth, I value the originality of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment