Wednesday, January 28, 2009

2 - Emily Lau -The Downside of Genetic Engineering: Blast from the Past?














First off, what struck me most about this t-shirt design that I got off of threadless.com is that the girl featured on the website wearing the shirt is the little sister of my friend from high school who I have not seen in almost four years. Weird! Nonetheless, what I like about this shirt is that it tells a story in a very unconventional way. The name of this shirt is "The Downside of Genetic Engineering." Somehow, the somewhat childlike quality to the images and the personification of the figures (the two watermelons and banana) brings to the light this very troubling and relevant issue of genetic engineering in a creative and unconventional way. I would never have thought to pair these images together in order to evoke this message, but I think that it is well done. I also love the simplicity and boldness of the whole design: from the images (very clear strokes) to the colors (yellow, green, red, black). Overall, I think this shirt is fun, thought provoking, and bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment