Sunday, January 25, 2009

1-Nicole Noronha: Threadless t-shirt design

While certainly personal, art does not exist in a vacuum and consequently must consider its audience. To me, art is expression in any form, that appeals in some way to the senses and to perception. It is the way in which humans create and transcribe thoughts and filter or mimic experiences in a somewhat physical form (music, literature, visual art). While this definition is broad, I do not believe that anything may be literally considered art. As there is a difference between noise and music, I believe in visual arts, there must be some deliberation. My art teacher in high school once crumpled a piece of paper and asked our uncertain class if we considered it art. He called it garbage, and I certainly see his point. I really think it depends on the viewer, and personally, for me, simply venerating a single piece of crumpled paper does not make it art. There is very little expression behind it.

On a separate note, as I was browsing for inspiration for t-shirt designs on "threadless" I found this design which reminded me of Gestalt principles:

http://www.threadless.com/print/1607/We_Are_Just_Pixels_After_All_Print

Proximity really creates a unified whole and its smaller components of robot-computers are pretty funny in creating this world map.

No comments:

Post a Comment